This two-year programme is research-oriented. It aims at training communication specialists who plan to pursue further studies, or to become media professionals.
Requirements for Admission
Please refer to the general requirements of the Graduate School. Applicants from any discipline may apply. Preference will be given to applicants with a solid background in social science and well-developed research interest in communication and media studies.
All applicants MUST have a minimum TOEFL* score of 580 (paper-based) or 92 (internet-based), or a minimum IELTS* (Academic) score of 7,
1. unless they possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
- H.K. Advanced Level Examination (including AS Level),
- H.K. Higher Level Examination,
- CUHK Matriculation Examination,
- General Certificate of Education Examiniation Advanced Level (GCE A Level) / Advanced Subsidiary Level (AS Level) or
2. have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was English, or
3. achieve level 4 or above in the English subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) examination.
* TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date.
Applicants are required to furnish proof of their research potential in the form of:
- a research proposal;
- three letters of reference from academic sources, and
- good undergraduate academic records.
If applicants apply for more than one programme in the School, please list the programmes in a priority order of their study interest clearly. Each applicant will be given only ONE admission offer from the School if he/she is eligible.
According to the School’s policy, applicants are not allowed to switch to another programme once they accepted the admission offer.
1) Coursework Requirement
2) Study plan
Students must submit a study plan, with the advice of the supervisor, for the approval of the Graduate Panel of the Board of School of Journalism and Communication within six months after registration. The Division Head will help students search for a supervisor within the first semester of study.
- Students are required to submit a research thesis and pass an oral examination for graduation.
- Thesis Monitoring Courses are listed as follows: COMM5250, COMM8100.
4) Other Requirements
- Students must fulfill the Term Assessment Requirement of the Graduate School. For details, please refer to Section 13.0 “Unsatisfactory Performance and Discontinuation of Studies” of the General Regulations Governing Postgraduate Studies which can be accessed from the Graduate School Homepage: https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/.
- A student must achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in order to fulfill the graduation requirement, unless special approval is granted by the Graduate Council.
- Complete an Improving Postgraduate Learning (IPL) module on “Observing Intellectual Property and Copyright Law during Research”. This will be an online module and relevant information can be accessed from the website: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clear/prodev/ipl.html.
- Complete an IPL module on “Research Data Management Training”. This is an online module and relevant information can be accessed from the website: https://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clear/download/IPL-Researchskills.pdf. Students are required to complete and pass the module in their first year of studies, with effect from the 2022-23 intake.
- Students are required to complete an online Research Ethics Training (RET) module on “Publication Ethics” and obtain a valid Publication Ethics Certificate for graduation. Relevant information can be accessed from the RET website at https://www.research-ethics.cuhk.edu.hk/web/.
5) Unsatisfactory Performance
A student whose thesis/portfolio is not passed but re-submission is allowed and re-examination is required must re-write and re-submit the thesis/portfolio to the satisfaction of the Thesis/Assessment Committee before being recommended for the award of degree. Such re-submission must be made within twelve months from the date of the official notification of the result of the first examination and within the student’s prescribed maximum period of study. Only one re-submission of thesis/portfolio is allowed.
With the approval of the Division Head, in lieu of the courses on the elective course list, students can take other courses within and/or outside the Division of Communication.
Tuition Fee, Studentships, Scholarships & Grants
1) Tuition Fee
HK$42,100 per annum regardless of the study mode
For local full-time RPg students, please refer to the Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local Research Postgraduate (RPg) Students for details.
2) Postgraduate Studentships
Full-time students may receive teaching assistantships or postgraduate studentships.
3) Internationalization Scholarship
Internationalization Scholarships will be offered to selected international students with outstanding academic performance to join the research postgraduate programmes of the School. No separate application is required. For more details, please refer to the following FAQ.
4) School-level Research/Conference Grants
For more details, please refer to Student Handbook.
Honesty in Academic Work
|A Guide for Students and Teachers||
The Chinese University of Hong Kong places very high importance on honesty in academic work submitted by students, and adopts a policy of zero tolerance on academic dishonesty. While “academic dishonesty” is the overall name, there are several sub-categories as follows:
Impersonation fraud in tests and examinations (including violation of rule 19 of the University’s Examination Rules or rule 15 of the University’s Online Examination Rules)
Any related offence will lead to disciplinary action including termination of studies at the University.
Everyone should make himself/herself familiar with the content of this website http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/policy/academichonesty/ and thereby help avoid any practice that would not be acceptable.
For general admission questions to the School of Journalism and Communication, please refer to the details HERE (PDF download).